Portions : 6
Serving Size : 2 small drumsticks
Carbohydrate Choices : 1/2
Diet Types : CKD Non - Dialysis, Dialysis, Diabetes
Renal and Renal Diabetic Food choices : 2 - 1/2 meat,1 vegetable, medium potassium, 2 fat
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 - inch cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoons whole peppercorns
2 raw onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
1 - 1/2 pounds small chicken drumsticks, skinned
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 - 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1. Heat oil in a large, wide pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaves and peppercorns. Stir once.
2. Add the onions, garlic and ginger. Stir this mixture until the onion picks up brown specks.
3. Add the tomatoes, chicken, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix and bring to a boil.
4. Cover pot tightly, turn heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir a few times during this cooking period.
5. Remove cover and turn up the heat to medium. Sprinkle in the garam masala and cook, stirring gently for about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
|Calories 269g||Protein 21g|
|Carbohydrates 6g||Fat 18g|
|Cholesterol 67mg||Sodium 350mg|
|Potassium 286mg||Phosphorus 139mg|
|Calcium 28mg||Fiber 1.5g|
The whole spices in this dish should be eaten for optimal flavor.