- On August 24, 2017 /
- By davita /
- In Health Tips
A patient who needs hemodialysis has to undergo a vascular access surgery before starting the dialysis program. A vascular access is a vein that is artificially created to help remove blood from the body and return it once the blood has been purified by the dialyzing machine.
Dialysis treatment actually replaces the filtering functions of the kidneys for patients who have had kidney failure and hence have to depend on a machine called the dialyser that purifies the blood by removing harmful toxins and extra fluid from the body. This helps maintain proper chemical balance in the body.
Here are a few facts you need to know before opting for home hemodialysis.
Who is fit for home hemodialysis?
All kidney patients are not fit for home hemodialysis. It is usually the nephrologist who decides if a patient is fit for home dialysis. He/ she takes the following factors into consideration while deciding if the patient is a good fit for home dialysis:
- The patient must be emotionally and cognitively competent.
- His/her medical condition should be stable.
- The patient should have a care provider, probably a family member or a friend who can help him/her with
- The patient should have sufficient space at home to accommodate the dialysis equipment, with enough
electricity and water supply facilities needed for the treatment.
The benefits of home hemodialysis
The benefits of home hemodialysis are many and are outlined below.
- Home dialysis improves the quality of life of the patient.
- The patient can adopt a more flexible treatment schedule.
- There is more privacy for the patient while undergoing home dialysis.
- The patient has enough spare time to spend with the family or go about his/ her daily chores.
- The patient experiences a sense of freedom and confidence as he/she is able to manage his/her own health condition.
- If a patient is on a more intense therapy combining daily and nocturnal hemodialysis, there is a better clearance of toxins and a better prognosis in terms of survival and the risk of falling sick.
- Home dialysis has shown to improve a patient’s energy levels and life expectancy.
- Last but not the least, home hemodialysis is cost-effective as it saves the patient the travel expense to and from a dialysis center three days a week.
The Effects of Home Hemodialysis on the Quality of Life of Patients
- Home dialysis, thus helps a patient carry on the life he/she was used to pre-dialysis. Home hemodialysis has been seen to improve a patient’s quality of life with fewer hospitalizations and complications. So, if you are a care-giver and want the best type of treatment for your loved one suffering from kidney failure, home hemodialysis is your best bet. You will be happy to see the health results and benefits that home dialysis has brought to your loved one, and be proud that you chose the right treatment method for him/her.
The market for home-based hemodialysis is growing and is poised to expand, nephrologists and industry representatives reported as it gives the patient the freedom to set his or her own schedule and balance treatment with life.