Chicken And Apple Curry
Portions : 8
Serving Size : one chicken breast with sauce.
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- pepper to taste
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped (or 1 large)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all - purpose flour
- 1 cup low - sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup unenriched rice milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a 9" x 13" (or larger) baking dish, adding pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté apple, onion and garlic in butter over a medium heat until tender.
- Add curry powder and basil; mix well, and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the flour, and continue to cook one minute longer.
- Add chicken broth and rice milk, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken breasts, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Renal and Renal Diabetic Food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1/4 fruit, low potassium
- We recommend low-sodium chicken broth. By definition, low sodium broth contains no more than 140 mg sodium per cup.
- To prevent spills in the oven, you can cover the chicken before baking.
- Chicken and Apple Curry is great with steamed white rice.
- This is a high protein meal. If you are on a lower protein diet, adjust the portion according to your meal plan.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 232
- Protein 29 g
- Carbohydrates 11 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 85 mg
- Sodium 118 mg
- Potassium 323 mg
- Phosphorus 225 mg
- Calcium 34 mg
- Fiber 1.2 g