Mr. P's Curried Turkey with Rice
Portions : 4
Serving Size : 1 - 3/4 cups.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (or spice substitute below*)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 pound turkey breast tenderloin or boneless breast meat cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup long grain or basmati rice
- 2 cups low - sodium chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Spice Substitute :
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Heat a 2 - quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter and melt, then add garam masala (or spice substitute*)
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until spices become fragrant.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and golden.
- Add the turkey, raisins and apple to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to boil and cover.
- Cook on medium-low heat until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas during the last few minutes to heat through, then toss and serve.
Renal and Renal Diabetic Food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 4 starch
- Compliment this dish with a cucumber salad (sliced cucumbers, thin sliced onion, white vinegar, black pepper and sugar or sweetener).
Nutrients per serving
- Calories - 492
- Protein - 25 g
- Carbohydrates - 62 g
- Fat - 16 g
- Cholesterol - 105 mg
- Sodium - 346 mg
- Potassium - 512 mg
- Phosphorus - 262 mg
- Calcium - 54 mg
- Fiber - 3.4 g