Portions : 6
Serving Size : 3/4 - cup curry mixture and 1/2 - cup rice
Carbohydrate Choices : 2 - 1/2
Diet Types : CKD Non - Dialysis, Dialysis, Diabetes
Renal and Renal Diabetic Food choices : 3 meat, 1 vegetable, medium potassium, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, cut lengthwise into thin strips
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
2 tablespoons low - sodium tomato paste
1 - 1/4 cups water
2 cups zucchini, sliced about 1/4" thick
1 cup frozen peas
3 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite - sized pieces
1 cup drained pineapple tidbits, canned in its own juice (save the liquid)
3/4 cup long grain white rice
1/4 cup pineapple juice (drained from the canned pineapple)
1. Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
2. Mix all of the spices together and stir in the tomato paste.
3. Stir spice mixture into the onions in the pan.
4. Mix in water and simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Stir in zucchini, peas and turkey.
6. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
7. Mix together the pineapple, rice, pineapple juice and water in a saucepan.
8. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
9. Serve curry dish over pineapple rice.
|Calories 307g||Protein 25g|
|Carbohydrates 37g||Fat 7g|
|Cholesterol 53mg||Sodium 179mg|
|Potassium 630mg||Phosphorus 248mg|
|Calcium 74mg||Fiber 4.8g|
This recipe is a great way to use leftover turkey.
Pork or chicken can be substituted for turkey.