Portions : 6
Serving Size : 1 - 3/4 cups
Carbohydrate Choices : 4
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons garam masala (or spice substitute)
1 cup onion, diced
1 pound turkey breast tenderloin or boneless breast meat cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup raisins
11 apple, peeled and diced
1 cup long grain or basmati rice
2 cups low - sodium chicken stock or water
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat a two quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2.Add butter and melt, then add garam masala (or spice substitute*)
3. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until spices become fragrant.
4. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and golden.
5. Add the turkey, raisins and apple to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the rice and stir.
7. Add the chicken stock, bring to boil and cover.
8. Cook on medium-low heat until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
9. Add the peas during the last few minutes to heat through, then toss and serve.
|Calories 492g||Protein 25g|
|Carbohydrates 62g||Fat 16g|
|Cholesterol 105mg||Sodium 346mg|
|Potassium 512mg||Phosphorus 262mg|
|Calcium 54mg||Fiber 3.4g|
Compliment this dish with a cucumber salad (sliced cucumbers, thin sliced onion, white vinegar, black pepper and sugar or sweetener).